GRAPHIC DESIGN & SOCIAL MEDIA INTERN
(one year contract position)
- University and college graduates who have graduated within the last three years from an accredited college or university. Candidates must be graduates of post-secondary degree or diploma programs. The successful candidate for this position will have a degree/diploma in Graphic Design, Marketing or related field of study.
- The position must provide the intern with first time employment in their field of study.
- Candidates are only eligible to participate in the internship program one time.
- Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Reports To: Marketing & Sponsorship Manager
Summary: Under the supervision of the Marketing & Sponsorship Manager, this position will be responsible for design work that is required by the chamber, posting a variety of information via social media avenues, and providing assistance to the planning and execution of a wide awry of special events.
The Graphic Design & Social Media Intern will be responsible for graphic design work such as developing communication pieces for upcoming events for a variety of different mediums. The successful candidate will need to be familiar with design software such as InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator.
The Graphic & Social Media Intern will research relevant content to publish, and use key social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube) to:
- provide engaging regular content updates on topical issues within the Greater Sudbury business community, provincially and federally;
- conduct analysis, with guidance from the Marketing & Sponsorship Manager;
- report on key metrics;
- identify areas of potential growth in social media. For example report on what is working well, and what we can improve on.
The Graphic & Social Media Intern will also be required to assist the events team with the execution of chamber events. In addition to doing the design work for the communication of the events, The Graphic & Social Media Intern will also assist the event coordinators to ensure flawless execution for the work both leading up to and on the day of the events.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
Design Work: Design material set out by the Marketing & Sponsorship Manager. Develop material in alignment with creative strategies and branding guidelines overall branding work, and individual event communication.
Social Media Strategy/Execution/Analysis: The Social Media Intern will be required to post/share information about chamber activities/members/etc. using a variety of social media avenues on a regular basis. Conduct analysis and report on key social media metrics on a monthly basis. He/she will also be expected to present reports regularly at status meetings with the Marketing & Sponsorship Manager.
Annual Events: Assist the Chamber’s annual program of social events, luncheons and seminars including, among others, the Bell Business Excellence Awards Gala, Annual Golf Tournament, Annual Curling Funspiel, Annual General Meeting, Mayor’s “State of the City” Address, President’s Series Luncheons, Working Breakfasts, Chamber U’s, Member Appreciation Reception, Open House events, Meet the Minister, Economic Outlook, and PEP Conference.
Promotional Activities: In conjunction with the Marketing & Sponsorship Manager plan and execute marketing promotion initiatives to increase attendance at all of the chamber’s events.
Other: Any other duties as may be assigned.
- Attend all events meetings as assigned.
- Record and transcribe minutes at all events meetings as assigned.
- Provide regular reports on the status of social media metrics, special events, membership marketing initiatives, etc.
- In concert with the Marketing & Sponsorship Manager, design and create the chamber’s promotional flyers and literature for special events.
- Research other chambers’ social media channels, and report on what is working well/what isn’t working well in the network.
- The incumbent will be required to contribute to a healthy team environment that is conducive to high morale and satisfactory interaction between and among all Chamber of Commerce employees.
- Analyze and interpret personal performance, implementing corrective action on any areas not meeting standards on a regular basis as laid out by supervisor.
- Participate in ongoing training and/or performance improvement plans as required.
- Safe-guard and maximize the use of chamber assets.
- Maintain a neat and tidy work area at all times.
- Participate actively in bi-weekly staff meetings.
- It is understood the working hours for this position are from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday.
- The incumbent may be expected to use their personal vehicle in the course of performing their duties for which they will be reimbursed for actual kilometres driven upon receipt of expense claim. The current rate of compensation for mileage is 54 cents/km.
- Contribute to a safe and healthy work environment.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None.
QUALIFICATIONS: University or college graduate who has graduated within the last three years from an accredited college or university. The candidate must be a graduate of a post-secondary degree or diploma program. The position will be a first-time employment in the candidate’s field of study.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
Education and/or Experience: College diploma or University degree with emphasis on graphic design and marketing. The successful candidate will have exceptional writing skills. Attention to proper spelling and grammar is a must. He or she must also have first-hand experience with social media, with either an active Facebook or Twitter account.
Language Skills: Excellent communication skills, verbal and written. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret financial and other reports. Ability to respond to inquiries or complaints from members, regulatory agencies or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches, speaking notes and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to management, public groups, members, or chamber committees. Bilingualism is an asset.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to work with mathematical concepts necessary in a business setting.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
Other Qualifications: Thorough knowledge of computer applications including Windows and XP, Microsoft Office Suite and desktop publishing, i.e. InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator etc. Accurate typing and word processing skills, highly developed time management and multi-tasking skills, ability to cope with pressure, changing priorities and strict deadlines. Ability to prioritise, to plan and organize, and to problem solve at an effective level. A high standard of personal presentation and grooming is required.
Please send cover letter and resume to:
Application Deadline: Friday, December 18th, 2020 @ 4:00 pm.
THIS OPPORTUNITY IS PROUDLY SUPPORTED BY: