|Today, the province announced that starting September 22, 2021, Ontarians will need to be fully vaccinated (two doses plus 14 days) and provide their proof of vaccination along with photo ID to access certain public settings and facilities.|
Ontarians will be required to show their vaccine receipt when entering designated settings along with another piece of photo identification, such as a driver’s licence or health card.
This approach focuses on higher-risk indoor public settings where face coverings cannot always be worn and includes:
– Restaurants and bars (excluding outdoor patios, as well as delivery and takeout);
Nightclubs (including outdoor areas of the establishment);
– Meeting and event spaces, such as banquet halls and conference/convention centres;
– Facilities used for sports and fitness activities and personal fitness training, such as gyms, fitness and recreational facilities with the exception of youth recreational sport;
– Sporting events;
– Casinos, bingo halls and gaming establishments;
– Concerts, music festivals, theatres and cinemas;
– Strip clubs, bathhouses and sex clubs;
– Racing venues (e.g., horse racing).
These mandatory requirements would not apply to outdoor settings where the risk of transmission is lower, including patios, with the exception of outdoor nightclub spaces given the risk associated with the setting. In addition, these requirements will not apply to settings where people receive medical care, food from grocery stores, medical supplies and the like. Aligned with public health measures currently in place, indoor masking policies will continue to remain in place.
Individuals who cannot receive the vaccine due to medical exemptions will be permitted entry with a doctor’s note until recognized medical exemptions can be integrated as part of a digital vaccine certificate. Children who are 11 years of age and younger and unable to be vaccinated will also be exempted from these requirements.
Individuals can provide proof of immunization by downloading or printing their vaccine receipt from the provincial booking portal, or by calling the Provincial Vaccine Booking Line at 1-833-943-3900. Ontario will also introduce an enhanced digital vaccine receipt that features a QR code.
Read more about this announcement here.