The origins of our beginnings can be traced back to the fall of 1895 and the Sudbury Board of Trade when a group of 34 small businesses got together to form an organization that would promote business opportunities in Sudbury, while helping existing businesses and residents deal with issues concerning insurance, railway rates and roads. This organization was known as the Board of Trade of the Town of Sudbury and the Township of McKim. On October 3, 1895, the association was officially incorporated and became known as the Sudbury Board of Trade (SBT). The first president was Frank Cochrane, owner of the Cochrane Dunlop Hardware store and one of the most successful politicians in the area.
In 1942, board members voted to rename the SBT to the Sudbury and District Chamber of Commerce. In 1999, the Board again voted to change the name, and this time they added “Greater” to the title.
From its early beginnings, the concept remains the same: a voluntary organization representing the business community who is dedicated toward improving the progress and prosperity of its members.